Thursday, August 27, 2009

Please ignore me

Sometimes I hate myself. Seriously.

I've noticed that when I'm meeting new people I feel the urge to connect-Quickly- and to my brain the fastest way to do that is to spill my life story. And it's not a pretty story, so while it might be interesting to a point, I'm pretty sure the people are wondering why I'm spilling my guts to them. And I walk away with a pit in my stomach wondering what the heck they think of me now. And I vow to never do it again, but I just can't control it in the moment. It's always pertinent to the conversation- it's not like I just bring it up. But with my obsessive need to tell the truth, details fall out that really shouldn't be out yet- things that really could just be glossed over or ignored. I studied this all in college- it's called the onion theory. It's the only communication theory that I remember.

I just have this need to be known. I'm afraid that people will get the wrong impression about my character or misunderstand my potential. Perhaps it's with all this moving I feel like I'm losing my identity, piece by piece, and I don't want to to lose me. And I don't want to be in pieces strewn about the country. I don't feel whole, and I want to desperately. Granted, blabbing my childhood woes probably isn't the best way, but in my head, that part of my life is so essential to who I am now, I guess I have a hard time believing that someone can know me without knowing the story behind me.

So if you have ever had to endure my life story, especially when I dominated the conversation and didn't let anyone a word edgewise, please forgive me. I literally don't see it until I've walked away. And if you see me doing it in the future, just give me a signal- a kick in the knee if you have to. I'd rather limp than walk away feeling pathetic again.

4 comments:

Debbie's said...

I love you... childhood stories and all :)

Teacher Eli said...

You and me both! It's what I loved about hanging out with you--you are of the few people that can keep up with my gab! I actually get a little nervous around people that don't spill everything. I harbor suspicions that they hate me but are too polite to admit it...

Shawna said...

What would I do without you two?

manda carol said...

Honestly, I'm just so glad that I'm not the only one who does this! :) But really. I always feel like I leave a conversation and shared TMI and monopolized the conversation. Birds of a feather flock together?! Maybe that's why I hold our friendship so dear (even if it has been YEARS since I've seen you).