Friday, October 16, 2009

Hard Life Lessons

There are certain lessons that everyone has to learn- mistakes that everyone seems to make. This includes curious children who are exploring their world. Even curious 3 year olds with say... toilet paper.

As I was getting ready for bed last night, I saw that Liliana had unrolled a WHOLE roll of toilet paper into the toilet. I was so tired that I just went to bed, not knowing how to even fix that problem and hoping that Kaylon did. Sure enough, I woke up to Kaylon groaning loudly in the bathroom. Then he went and woke up Liliana. I almost went to stop him, but decided he might have the right idea (and that I wouldn't have to do it). He took her in the bathroom, asked if she did it, explained that it was bad, and then made her take most of the toilet paper out by hand and put it in a trash bag. He washed her hands and told her to never do that again, and put her back to bed.

It made me think of another 3 year old a few years ago. I had found a similar waste of toilet paper and had brought her in for a lesson. I then warned her that if she did it again that I would take away some of her money to pay for the waste. It didn't take her very long to repeat the mistake. You should have heard Grace's wails as I marched her upstairs and removed two pennies from her piggy bank. It took her a long time to forget that- sometimes even calling me mean for taking her money and demanding that I return it. But she also never emptied a whole roll of TP in the toilet again- I'm pretty sure Liliana won't either.

1 comment:

Debbie's said...

You guys are such great parents! Next time take pictures ;)