Thursday, May 28, 2009

What's the story, Morning Glory? What's the Tale, Nightingale?

Ok so here's the update...

If you've been reading this blog, then you know that Kaylon and I were convinced that we needed to move out to Manassas, and then Woodbridge. But nothing was happening. We looked at place after place, and the houses weren't very nice, or the neighborhoods were scary, etc. The calender kept creeping closer to June and we had no place to live. Kaylon and I prayed about it and the only answer we seemed to get is that we needed to go where the Lord wanted us to go.

So I suggested that we open up our search to all of the DC metro area. I even looked in PG county (but not for long). We were surprised to find some nice places closer than Woodbridge but at the same price. As we started calling we had to cross of nearly all of them since they were already taken. I started to wonder if we would ever find a place.

We decided that on Wednesday I would drive down and look at 2 places we had found- one in Centreville and the other in Reston. I was sure that I would want Centreville- it had new appliances! But when I went it just didn't feel right. Reston gave me a peaceful feeling, so we put in our application and learned this morning that they ok'd Yoda. We'll find out if our application passed on Monday (although I can think of no reason why it wouldn't- we are every landlord's dream- well, minus the dog).

It's just weird how this all turned out. I was so sure that we would go to Woodbridge or Manassas- I like those places a lot. Probably more than I liked Reston (although to be honest I saw very little of it). I'm figuring out that I'm not a city person. Reston was not even on our second list of places to look at. But we are moving into a great neighborhood with a playground in front of the house and an excellent school- and for cheaper than what we pay here in Montgomery Village.

I feel good about the move, but nervous at the same time, which makes for bizarre emotions. I'm excited for a new house- one that is taken care of and repaired. I'm excited for a new start- a time that I can reinvent myself and grow a little more. I'm excited to no longer be paying MD taxes. But I'm really going to miss my friends here in MV. It'll be hard to be new again- to have to overcome my shyness and meet new people. I'm going to miss my calling at church in the Primary- and the wonderful women that I work with every week who have taught me so much. Can't say I'll miss the house, but it is the home that I brought two of my babies home to- and the place we've lived the longest our whole marriage (almost 3 years). There's some sentimentality that goes with that.

But I guess that's just life. You move on and you make the best of it. I laugh sometimes to think how much my life mirrors my mother's. Maybe we're not military, but we're the ones off on our own- moving around and doing the best we can. I think I'll be ready to embrace this next part of my life... right after I wipe away the tears from the coming loss...

3 comments:

Emily Hayes Photography- Washington DC Wedding and Portrait Photography said...

Good luck! I really hope you get the place!! I am jealous you will be living near Rebecca (lucky :-)!

Shawna said...

we're excited about that too!

Teacher Eli said...

Shawna, Shawna, hasn't experience taught you by now that you should never assume you have things all figured out? Remember how I had to reprint all my Christmas cards when I found out we were moving to Las Vegas, not San Antonio? I hope it works out,though! Keep me updated.