Sunday, July 6, 2008

Someone managed to surprise me (and that's not an easy thing to do)

Ok, so I have the best friends in the world. On the 4th of July I woke up and started scambling to get things ready for the activity that I was running at our ward picnic. I'm trying to fill up 200 water balloons (only got about 40-50 done) and I expected Kaylon to watch the girls and get them ready. Instead he's off mowing the lawn and cleaning up the house. Now sometimes he just gets fixated on things, and I figured it was one of those times- the girls weren't being too bad, so I let it slide. We had a great time at the picnic, came home, and put the girls down for a nap. Pretty normal.

So I decide to sit down and relax since I'm still recovering from vacation to AZ. I start out in the living room, but Kaylon convinces me to go downstairs, which I thought nothing of. I ask him if he wants to watch a movie, but he starts 'fixing my coffee table.' Whatever, so I start watching my political videos online when the doorbell rings. Kaylon calls down to me that he's in the bathroom, so I jump up to get the door before another ring wakes up my girls.

I open the door and see noone. I glance down and there is a blond baby sitting on my walkway with a cell phone in her hand. My brain starts making connections, but they don't make sense- This baby looks just like Leora, my friend Debbie's youngest daughter- I know this because I was watching video of them just last night. But that's impossible because they live in Ohio. I mean, that would be crazy. But it looks JUST like Leora. I seriously must have had the most blank look in the world on my face. (I was later rebuked that my thoughts never turned to the possibility that this was an abandoned child). Finally when they could hold it in no longer Fred pops out from behind a bush by the cars with a video camera (can't wait to watch the footage) and Debbie comes out from the bush right next to me. I was still in shock as I hugged them both and they explained to me how just the night before they decided to drive the 7 hours to spend the holiday with us, conspiring with Kaylon to surprise me. It was one of the most awesome surprises of my life- and I tell you, I'm a hard one to surprise.

It rained that night, so we decided to just watch fireworks on the net and play Halo all night. The next day we decided to treat them to a day in DC (you can't drive all that way and not see some sights!). The kids did very well considering- they all loved the train into the city and the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. We got to show them the major attractions before the kids starting losing it, and and then had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (YUUUUUMMMM). All in all, it was a great day with great people, and I am so blessed to have friends that love me so much to travel all that way just to see ME:)

Anyways, I'll post pics when I get some from Debbie- it seemed redundant to take doubles of all the same stuff. I love digital photography! And I love my Debbie (and Fred).

2 comments:

Debbie's said...

YAY! I love you, too! Hands down one of the best weekends of my life! Love the blog :D

AbbaDabba Bags said...

Hey Shawna, great blog! Thanks for adding a link to my bag shop!