Monday, January 11, 2010

Mother's Intuition

I had a few extra moments today while Liliana was watching a movie and Moira was napping, so I decided to be a good mom and play Barbies with Grace. As I walked in to my room (which I let her use so that no little girls can get into her stuff) she had a weird look on her face. She was holding one of her horses and a brush full of its hair. I sat down and showed her how to gently brush the hair so that it doesn't all come out. As we brushed together, the thought popped into my head that when I first walked in it kinda looked like she had cut the horses hair because of all the hair in the brush. But I blew it off, figuring it was just how it appeared.

Then Grace jumped up and said she had to "check on Yoda's bed." Uh huh. Right. So I told her to bring me what she had put over there. She begged me not to be mad as she brought me scissors. I asked her what she was doing with them, to which she confirmed that she had wanted to cut the knots out of the horses hair. I reminded her she needed to ask to use scissors, and she apologized. I didn't want to ruin the mother-daughter playtime, so I let it go after that, and we continued to get all the princesses ready for the ball.

Course, sometime in there we heard a crash, followed by crying. I immediately knew what it was but didn't want to believe it. But I opened up Moira's door to find her on her floor in front of her crib- no broken bones- just a little shaken up. She recovered as I set right to work lowering her crib all the way. She looked like she was in prison, behind bars, as I closed the door behind me and made her take the nap she thought she had gotten out of.

I still find it funny that I know these things before I know them. Maybe that's where our brains go after we have children- not into our children, but into our intuition so that we can keep them from doing stupid things -or knowing when they already have.

No comments: