Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

These past 5 days have been incredibly crazy. We just now got our internet and phone set up. So here's our moving update.

As moves go, it really wasn't bad. My brother Brandon flew out the week before, allowing me to pack and clean. We had about a dozen men, including Kaylon and Brandon, come out to pack the truck- and we had already packed all the boxes (sadly, this is the first time that's happened). Everything was going smoothly until we realized that our stuff wasn't going to fit on the 24 ft truck we had rented! If we had had just a foot or two more we would have been fine- the rest of the stuff fit in 1.5 van trips (half because one of the trips was with the girls in the van as well). About a half dozen men came out from our new ward to help unpack and I guess that was done fairly quickly. Some of my friends came to the house to help me clean, which took longer than I'd hoped, even with me cleaning things beforehand. Another good friend watched my two older girls so that they weren't underfoot. She was nice enough to take them for longer than expected. I owe all those ladies for their service!

The worst part though was saying goodbye- even though I know that I'm only an hour away. When the last person left I called Kaylon and started came close to hysteria, and the tears never really stopped until I went to bed. I made some wonderful friends in Montgomery Village- people that I will remember forever (and can't get away from me, thanks to facebook, lol). I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of having to establish myself all over again. It's a hard thing for me to make friends... I get so nervous in social settings.

This move has been different from the others though. While I mourned the loss of my former life and friends- I was surprised to find that I still felt at home. I realized that my life is so centered on my family, that I couldn't feel lost with them still with me. What a comfort that my little family is with me as I embark on this new journey.

The new house is mostly put together now. Someone just took all our packing boxes off our hands, giving us some more storage room. I finally went grocery shopping last night- but that is the only place I've gone besides dropping Kaylon off at the commuter lot and eating dinner at friends house (Thanks Rebecca!). I have some more closets to organize, bookshelves to fill, and pictures to hang on walls, but otherwise, it's looking good. But as I lay down to sleep I still feel like I'm already dreaming- it just doesn't feel like my life. I'm sure that that will change, but for now, it feels like an out of body experience. I'll take some pictures soon and get them up...

2 comments:

Debbie's said...

I'm sorry the move wasn't painless (not that you expected it to be), but I love your perspective- that wherever your family is, you feel at home. G'luck with your fresh start!
Love you!

Anonymous said...

It was an "out of body experience" for me as we moved an hour away too. It's all quite weird, & it will feel that way 'til you get a little settled. Good luck with everything, and we'll egt together very soon (whether you want to egt away or show off your new place)!