Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I just wanted to take a minute and thank some of the mothers in my life.

First and foremost- thank you to my mom. Our relationship goes deeper than her just giving birth to me. She is a listening ear and a tear-soaked shoulder. She is a good (sometimes bad) joke and wise advice. She is my example. She is my hero. And now that I am older, she is one of my best friends. I am eternally grateful that I am blessed to call her mother.

My sister- no, she's not my mother, but she is a good mother that I can go to for all the above listed things when I can't get ahold of Mom. There has always been an unstated knowledge that we have each other's backs- in the good times and the bad. I'm grateful that she is the person that I get to know the longest in this life.

My Grandma Jay- who never misses a birthday and is so sweetly supportive of me- from graduating from college to writing this blog, she is my cheerleader and I am gratful for her.

My Grandma June- who's name I gave to Liliana for her strength and spunk (and it hasn't seemed to be wasted). Although her mind is no longer with us, I am grateful for how she raised my mom, and her example of fortitude in hard times.

For my mother in law- Elyse- and how she has accepted me from the beginning. She has been so careful to let me forge my own home- perhaps even overly sensitive in trying to not step on my toes. I love how she loves my children and her never ending praise and support of our little family. I am so grateful for her work in raising a son that respects women and loves children, and is not afraid of work- out in the world or at home.

For my grandmother in law- RGene- the matriarch of the family in Page- always ready with a funny quip as well as a spiritual message. I am grateful that she gave me a chance and for her being a second mom to my husband and aiding him in his growth as a man.

There are many other women in my life who support me and love me, (you know who you are!). I am so blessed to have this network of mothers and sisters to help me through this life. Thank you to all you women who have touched my life- I hope you all have a wonderful mother's day.

1 comment:

Debbie's said...

aw... what a sweet thing to write about :) What a blessing to have so many wonderful "mother-types" in your life! With examples like that, no wonder you're such a great mom, too :D