Thursday, December 18, 2008

Scared of getting old...

No I'm not talking about myself, although when I turn 27 next month that will solidly put me in my late 20's, and out of the mid-20's which is daunting. No, my 4 year old is terrified of getting older.

I'm not sure how it all started. I think it was after explaining that when people get older their bodies don't work as well and they die and go live with Heavenly Father. That's the only thing I can figure. But lately, every day, Grace turns somber and tells me that she doesn't want to get older. Yesterday it was right after she asked how old I was and then said that she didn't want to be old like me (I get her perspective, but really, I'm not OLD!). Then she starts crying and saying she doesn't even want to turn 5- that she wants to stay 4. A few times she has also said that she doesn't want ME to die- I think that might be the real issue. I tried to tell her that it's not something to worry about right now, but she stayed true to form as my daughter, and continues to build an ulcer over it. I can't make any promises about my stay on this earth- but I don't plan on leaving any time soon... But I remember worrying the same way about my mother- and my mom says that as a child I didn't want to grow up either. I guess she's just a lot like me.

1 comment:

Debbie's said...

She's so sweet! That's cute that you had the same childhood fear.
I can't say I ever feared getting OLD, but when I was about 4 I was scared of getting taller and would ask my dad if it was scary being so tall.