Sunday, February 21, 2010

Report Card

Grace got her first real report card this past Friday. I've been kinda nervous about this all year. I just didn't know what to expect. I never had a problem doing well at school- it came naturally to me. I'm not bragging, it's just to help explain that I'm not sure what to do if school doesn't come naturally to my kids. I don't want to push them too hard, but I do want them to reach their potential. So anyways, I've been waiting to see how Grace is doing compared to someone else's benchmark (cuz she's brilliant according to me, of course).

I didn't need to worry.

Grace has already mastered ALL of her kindergarten subjects! They tested her reading and she is qualified as a "strong emergent reader." The only things that she needed work on were participating in music class, working out problems with her peers (that was no surprise), and getting her work done on time (I can see her having trouble giving up perfecting an assignment). Her teacher praised her liberally in her comments section, adding that she was a joy to have in class. I can't tell you how proud I am of her. She is doing so well!

Course now I'm afraid of what happens when one of them doesn't excel like this. Will I still be proud of them? Will I be just as excited for their progress? I hope so. I guess we'll tackle that when the time comes. Until then, I'll just be really happy that Grace loves, and is good at, school!

No comments: